- Dr. S. R. Ranganthan Sir
- Library Management
- NET-SET 1st Paper
- LIS News
- LIS Job
- KVS-1 Paper
- Questions-AL-LIA Exams
- Free E-Books
- World Libraries
- All Catalogs
- Questions Hub
- Hub of Abbreviation
- LIS Cafe Forum
- IT Questions
- New Trends
- Students Corner
- LIS Cafe Author/Creator
- All Indian University/Institute Website Link
- Library Trainee Exam
- Today's LIS Word
- TSPSC Librarian-256
- Free Plagiarism Checker
Search This LIS Cafe- Enter here
"Share your Knowledge. It is a Way to Achieve Immortality".---Dalai Lama XIV
अपने ज्ञान को साझा करना (शेयर), यह एक तरह से अमरत्व को प्राप्त करने जैसा है- दलाई लामा XIV (Translated By-Asheesh kamal)
Sunday, June 28, 2015
Syllabus for Written Examination for KVS Librarian
Part 1: Foundation of Library & Information Science.
Unit.1. Library as an Social Institution
- Social & Historical foundations of Library.
- Different types of libraries- Academic, Public, Special –their distinguishing features and functions.
- Role of U.G.C. for development of Academic libraries.
- Role in Library of formal and informal education.
Shivaji University, Kolhapur
Unit.2 Normative Principles of Lib. & Inf. Science
- Five Laws of Library Science.
- Implications of five laws in Lib. & Inf. Science
- Development of Libraries with special reference to India, Baroda
Public Library system
- Library Co-operation Resource Sharing and Library Networking.
Unit 4. Laws relating to Libraries & Inforamion.
- Library legislation need and essential features.
- Library legislation in India.
- Maharashtra Public Library Act.
- Press and registration act & Delivery of Books act (Public Library).
- Copyright act, Intellectual Property rights.
Unit.5 Library and information Profession
- Attribution of profession.
- Librarianship as a profession.
- Professional ethics.
- Professional associations & their role.
- National &; International Library Associations- FID, IFLA, LA,
ILA, ALA, IASLIC etc.
- Professional education &; research.
Unit.6 Promoters of Library & Information services
- National level promoters- RRRLF.
- International level promoters- UNESCO
Unit 7. Public relations & Extension activities
- facets and programs.
- publicity & extension, Out reach activities.
- Library path finders (Guides)
- Factors affecting Library development, Literacy, publishing, Book
Part II : Knowledge Organization, Information Processing & Retrieval.
Unit. 1. Universe of Knowledge
- Structure and attributes.
- Modes of formation of subjects.
- Different types of subjects.
- Universe of subjects as mapped in different schemes of
Unit. 2 Bibliographic description
- Catalogue purpose, Structure and types physical forms including
OPAC filling rules.
- Normative Principles of cataloguing.
- Overview of principles and practice in document description.
- Current trends in Standardization, description and exchange.
- Standard codes of cataloguing.
Unit. 3. Methods of Knowledge Organization
- General theory of Library Classification.
- Normative principles of classification and their application.
- Species of Library Classification.
- Standard Schemes of Classifications and their features, CC, DDC,
- Notation: Need, Functions, Characteristics
- Design and development of schemes of Library Classification,
Standard sub-division Index.
- Trends in Library Classification.
Unit.4. Subject Classification
- Principles of Subject Classification.
- Subject heading lists and their feature.
Part III: Information Technology: Basic
Unit.1 Information Technology
- Definition, Need, Scope and Objectives.
Unit. 2 Computer Basic (Hardware)
- Introduction to Computers
- Overview of Historical Development of Computers.
- Generations of Computers, Classification of Computers.
- Essential Components of Computer system.
Unit.3 Computer Architecture-Organization of Computer
- Input and Output devices- Keyboard, Scanner, OCR, Printers,
Unit. 4. Software.
- Operating systems: Single & Multi User Systems, Basic features
of MS-DOS, MS Windows, Linux, UNIX, Windows NT etc.
- Programming Languages: Concepts and Tools
- Algorithm & Flowcharting.
Unit. 5 Word Processors, Spread Sheet etc.
Unit. 6 DBMS Package
- Familiarity with DBASE, FOXPRO, CDS/ISIS, SOUL, MS Access
Unit 7. Computer application to library & Information work
- House keeping operations
Unit 8. Communication Technology
- Communication Technology Basic Concepts
- Networking: Basic Concepts.
Part IV: Management of Libraries & Information Centres/Institutions
- Concepts, definition and scope.
- Management styles and approaches.
- Management schools of thought.
- Functions and principles of Scientific Management.
Unit.2 Human Resource Management
- Organizational structure.
- Delegation, Communication and Participation.
- Job Description and Analysis, Job evaluation.
- Inter-personal relation.
- Recruitment procedures.
- Motivation, group Dynamics.
- Training and Development.
- Disciplines and Grievances.
- Performance Appraisal.
Unit.3. Financial Management
- Resources Mobilization
- Budgeting Techniques and Methods PPBS, Zero Based Budgeting
- Budgetary Control.
- Cost effectiveness and Cost Benefit analysis.
Unit. 4 Reporting
- Types of reports, Annual report-compilation, Contents and style.
- Library Statistics etc.
Unit 5 System Analysis and Design
- Library as a system
- Project Management PERT/COM
- Decision Tables.
- Performance evaluation standards, MIS.
- Performance Measurement, reengineering, Time and Motion
- SWOT ( Strength Weakness Opportunities Threat)
- DFD (Data Flow Diagram)
Unit 6. Total Quality Management (TQM)
- Definition, Concept, Element
- Quality Audit, LIS related standards.
- Technology Management.
Unit. 7 Library House Keeping Operations.
- Different sections of Library & Information Center and their
- Collection Development and Management Policies Procedures.
- Book Ordering (Acquisition)
- Technical Processing.
- Serials Control, Circulation Control, Maintenance etc.
- Stock Verification- Policies and Procedures.
- Evaluation and Weeding.
- Restoration including Print, Non-Print and Electronic Materials.
- Concept, Definition, Need and Purpose, Types.
- Policies and Procedures, MBO
- Building and Space management in Libraries and Information
- Library Building, Interior & Exterior, Furniture, Equipment’s,
Standards & Types.
- Risk Management, Contingency Management.
- Planning of related Infrastructure, Library Standards.
Unit 9. Management of change.
- Concept of change.
- Changes in Procedures, Methods, Tools and Techniques.
- Problems of Incorporating Change.
- Techniques of Managing Change.
Part V: Information Sources & Services
Unit 1. Reference and information sources.
- Documentary Sources of Information, Print, Non-Print including
Electronic: Special features, Scope, types
- Nature, Characteristic, Utility and evaluation of different types of
Information sources: Physical formats, Authority, Content, Utility.
- Non-Documentary Information Sources.
- Reference Sources Categories, Primary, Secondary & Tertiary
Information Sources.(Encyclopedia, Dictionary, Periodical,
Thesis, Books, Year book, Patents, Trade literature, standards,
Monographs, Reference Books, Year Books, Almanac, Atlas,
Abstracting & Indexing periodicals, Bibliographies, Handbooks
- Internet as a Source of Information.
Unit.2. Reference Service.
- Concept, Definition, Need, Scope and trends.
- Reference Interview and Search Techniques.
Unit 3. Information Services and Products
- Information services and Products.
- Information services concepts, Definition, Need and trends.
- Need, Techniques and Evaluation of Alerting services (CAS
- Bibliographic, Referral, Document Delivery and Translation
Unit.4. Information System and their Services.
- Study of National, International and Commercial Information
Systems and Services- Background, their Services and Products.
Part VI: Library Users
Unit 1. Techniques of Library and Information Centres Survey.
- Proforma method.
- Interview method.
- Records analysis method.
Unit.2. Information users and their information Needs
- Categories of Information users.
- Information needs definition and models.
- Information seeking behaviour.
Unit.3 User Education
- Goals and Objectives level, Techniques and Methods, Evaluation
of Users Education Programmes.
Unit. 4. User Studies.
- Methods and techniques of User studies.
- Evaluation of User studies.
Unit 5. User Orientation Programme:
- Conventional and modern Techniques: Study tour, Newsletters,
Handbooks, Leaflets, Powerpoint Presentation, Websites etc
Posted by LIS Cafe By-AsheeshKamal
This Blog For Those People Who Belive In Professional Course (Library and Information, Computer Science) ! LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE CAFE (LIS CAFE) is a online service to the Library and Information, Computer Science community, related to the recent developments, current vacancies, on going issues etc.
libraryandinformationscienceca ...... fe.blogspot.in/
com/ libraryandinformationscienceca fe?ref=hl
Creator / Owner / Administrator/Moderator: Asheesh Kamal
Creator / Owner / Administrator/Moderator: Asheesh Kamal